Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Info Post
AEM has been covering the topic of suicidal thoughts and student loan debt since last August. These pieces have received the most comments, and people, who have a lot of guts, have opened up about the pain and suffering they are going through as student loan debtors.

This evening, a woman named Liz shared her thoughts. Here's what she said:

I considered suicide. I know I really don't have a future. I'm aware that the only hope out of this mess is to 'start over' with reincarnation. I have 150k minimum in student loans. I have been looking daily for jobs. Can't believe they don't want a degree'd person to flip burgers. . . Can anyone tell my WHY I'm still not wanted? 
My loans will crush me, and I have no job as to pay the forbearance fees(Sallie Mae fees 150 PER LOAN OUT, Federal is free, Credit Union it depends). 
I've literally decided if I can't get a job by February(That covers Federal, Sallie Mae AND Credit Union loans) I will just kill myself on Valentine's day. . . now how do you make it look like an accident? I've heard "accidental" deaths are more likely to get the loans discharged.
As a graphic designer I am deeply offended that anyone would say I deserve this. I deserve much more then a shitty lie of a life with no future to show for it.

I told Liz, "I know it's not much consolation, but you aren't alone." Please let Liz know that you are rooting for her, and that she needs to hang on. Send her your support. We need people like Liz to survive this crisis. We need to keep on living, so we can share our stories with future generations (hopefully they won't have to endure the misery that so many of us are experiencing).

Related Links


"Suicides and Student Loan Debt," AEM (August 14, 2011)


"Suicide and Murder-Suicides," AEM (Jan 30, 2011)

Debt and Suicide (Radio interview with Shared Sacrifice; originally aired 16 December 2010)

Suicide Among Student Debtors - Who's Thought About It? (17 August 2010)

For The Indentured Class, Suicidal Thoughts Are Not Merely An Individual Problem (22 October 2010)

An Angry Mother Vents (4 October 2010)



Other Related Links:

99ers band together to save a life (27 January 2010)

Suicide Rates Up Since Recession Began, Debt A 'Way of Life' For 99ers (26 July 2010)

Tomgram: Nick Turse, Desperate Times and Desperate Measures (28 January 2009)

The Economic Crisis Is Getting Bloody - Violent Deaths Are Now Following Evictions, Foreclosures, and Job Losses (20 November 2009)







0 comments:

Post a Comment