Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, October 6, 2011

Info Post
The folks at Hypervocal extended a gracious invitation to me, and asked if I'd be interested in being a contributor at their site. I accepted the offer! My new column is called Seriously Subversive, and that is where I will be covering - in part - my trips across the country to report about #OWS. I will also (of course) write about the student lending crisis, economics, politics, etc. for them. There will be a slight twist, if that's the right way of putting it. There's gonna be some levity in these pieces, and I think that's what we all need. It reminds me of the excitement we're getting from these nationwide protests. It's given me a bounce in my step, and it feels damned good. Do you also see what this means for the indentured educated class? Our voice is getting louder and louder and louder. I'm just getting warmed up, and I know you are too! (There have been so many offers to volunteer for AEM, and I am grateful for the help - I desperately need it).

This stuff is still serious business, but we gotta have some fun, too.

On another note, I want to thank SparkAction for their continued interest in my work. They publish my pieces on a regular basis, and today they featured an article I wrote about cyber slurs. A special thanks to Henry Giroux and Mike Hais for weighing in as experts for that piece.

All right folks, I'm headed to Austin tomorrow. They had an amazing turnout today, so I am anxious to get down there. 

I am delighted that things went well for the October 2011 crew in D.C., too. I know Barbara Ehrenreich visited the protest to show her support for this mesmerizing movement. And she got me in touch with a great activist, so I picked up a new pal. In addition, I interviewed one of the organizers for October 2011 (AEM is listed as a supporting organization for their efforts), and I look forward to sharing that talk with the rest of you.

I am meeting amazing people, and that makes me feel like this struggle is worth it. We're coming together as a community, and not just on the Internet, but in the streets. Those of you who are part of the 99%, you are amazing. Never forget it.

Stay tuned for updates.

I started on a lighter note and will end on one: here's something funny for y'all.

Related Links

"Occupy Austin takes over City Hall," Jackie Vega and Reagan Hackleman, KXAN.com (Oct 6th, 2011)


"Police: 1,200 people at occupy, no arrests," Patrick George, The Statesman.com (Oct. 6, 2011)


"Heading to Austin and Raising More Funds," AEM (Oct. 6, 2011)


"[UPDATED] Latest: Cops Beating Protesters at Occupy Wall Street Protest," AEM (Oct. 5, 2011)


"Please Donate - Let Me Represent You," AEM (Oct. 4, 2011)


"The origins of Occupy Wall Street explained," Justin Elliott, Salon (Oct. 4, 2011)


"Gregory Warner at NPR's Marketplace Discusses Occupy Wall Street And Student Loan Debt," AEM (Oct. 3, 2011)


"Occupy Wall Street, the Obama Campaign, and Everybody Else on the Hill." AEM (Oct. 3, 2011)


"Occupy Wall Street Movement Gets Support of Cornel West, Russell Simmons, Lupe Fiasco," The Loop21.com (September 30, 2011)


"'Occupy Wall Street' Becomes Nationwide Movement," The Loop21.com (Sept. 27, 2011)


"Occupy Wall Street - Tweet About Student Loan Debt And Medical Debt," AEM (Sept. 25, 2011)


"Dustin Slaughter's Picture: 'In Debt? You're Not Alone,'" AEM (Sept. 19, 2011)


"Occupy Wall Street - Begins Tomorrow, Sept. 17th," AEM (Sept. 16, 2011)


0 comments:

Post a Comment